Everything changed in 2020, including the biggest CrossFit event of the year: the CrossFit Games. Instead of a large-scale in-person event with thousands of cheering fans, the event went largely virtual last year. Only the top athletes from each country eventually made their way to a small, in-person Games without fans.
This year, we’re hopefully turning a corner. The 2021 CrossFit Games are ready for a big return – complete with a cheering crowd and the world’s most incredible athletes competing for the top prize. But what will the 2021 CrossFit Games look like, and how can YOU get in on the action?
What We Know About the 2021 CrossFit Games
First and foremost, the Games are back! As in years past, the 2021 CrossFit Games will feature in-person finals with plenty of cheering fans, vendors, food, and fun. The finals will take place at the Alliant Energy Center in Madison, WI (just down the road from WodBottom HQ…EEEEK!) the week of July 26.
While the final schedule hasn’t yet been announced, here’s what we know so far:
- Athletes who already qualified based on the Open and the Quarterfinals in their local gyms will compete in the Semifinals from May 24-June 14. These events will be held in person, with contingencies to move online should COVID protocols change.
- CrossFit partners in six continents will host Semifinal events, ensuring at least one athlete from every continent makes it to the games. You know, except for Antarctica, because penguins can’t lift.
- The Games is adding a new Adaptive Division to its categories, in addition to the existing Masters and Teenage divisions. The goal is to make the 2021 CrossFit Games more inclusive to all athletes, no matter their abilities.
- There will be a last-chance qualifier event held the week of June 28 for athletes who fell just short of qualifying.
- The LIVE, in-person 2021 CrossFit Games Finals will take place the week of July 26 in Madison!
While the current plan is to have in-person events, there are contingency plans should the pandemic force competitions to go virtual.
CrossFit is Coming to Our Hometown!
We are more than a little pumped that the 2021 CrossFit Games is going down right here in Madison! Just as in years past, the event promises to be a celebration of fitness and fun like none other.
Besides the Finals, the CrossFit Games are a week-long festival featuring:
- 200,000 square feet filled with vendors and sponsors from around the world.
- A 20,000 square foot beer garden (because when in Wisconsin…).
- A camping village with room for RVs and tents.
- Spectator workout zones for an immersive CrossFit experience.
- Food court with nutritious meal options.
- Demo stage with entertainment and training.
You’d better believe Madison will be turning it up for the Games. The entire city is getting involved, giving spectators and athletes a warm Wisconsin welcome! In line with Madison tradition, there will be plenty of food, drink, and fun for everyone.
At WodBottom, we could not be more excited to have the Games in our own backyard. Stay tuned for more details about our involvement!
How YOU Can Watch the 2021 CrossFit Games
Get up close and personal to the action with tickets to the 2021 CrossFit Games. There are two tiers of ticketing:
- Festival-only ticket that allows access to the festivities around the Finals AND admission to the Masters and Teenage events. Festival tickets are $119.
- Festival + Coliseum Tickets that grant access to ALL events, including individual and team finals inside the Colosseum. These tickets range in price from $225-$550 depending on your desired seat in the stadium.
While everything is scheduled to be in-person for now, COVID-19 protocols could change these plans. Keep up to date on the ticketing page and get your tickets here!
Of course, not everyone lives in Madison (and for that, we are sorry). And not everyone can make the trip to Wisconsin to see the Games in person. But don’t fret! The 2021 CrossFit Games will be streamed online, and available LIVE on select channels. Check your listings or visit the CrossFit Games Instagram for more information.